Sunday 7 March 2010

You forget how much of your hard drive WOW takes up now

Well this weekend it finally happened that moment that all PC users dread my HDD went boom. I wasn't surprised as it had been a bit iffy for a while and I didn't lose anything important as I backup anything I cant afford to lose after a couple of painful experiences many years ago.

So I took this opportunity for a clean fresh install and an excuse to lose all that accumulated crap you tend to build up on the drive over a few years. I guess you all know what I mean (well unless you are one of those people with borderline OCD who takes everything off as soon as you have finished it) the old games that you keep in case an expansion comes along or that old app that may come in useful someday. Well its all gone from my system now and the rig is once again clean mean and ready to rumble.
This may also have something to do with me getting an Xbox360 in the family recently so I am planning to keep my PC rig for WOW and a few other apps.

After the usual obligatory putting windows, antivirus and connecting to the web it was time to put WOW back on. Now I admit I was lax and didn't backup the wow directory but I had all day to set it up while was doing other stuff.
What can I say OH MY GOD it takes ages I forgot that the vanilla disks and BC are on CD (remember those?) due to part of the world (and yep I am looking at you America) not getting on the DVD train that early. So that's about 8 cd swaps. Then comes the patching.... 12 hours later I am finally back on line.
I will back WOW up next time especially if the HDD is looking iffy god help me if this was the day before raid night I would be back on the lappy which is never fun for raiding.


Zetter

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should have gonne for the download instead, no watching the screen and swapping disks all the time.

zetter said...

yep but I have very slow internet so it would have taken even longer no super 20mb broadband here :(

Zetter

Anonymous said...

Thats a factor of course..