Saturday 19 December 2009

Unlucky Toons

So we did the first four bosses in ICC again and a few nice bits dropped for everyone. Including to our amazement a bow for our hunter Dalno.
Now why were we amazed? Well Dalno has a theory that when you create your toon Blizz does a secret roll and this affects all your rolling chances for loot going forward though some nefarious mechanism. His belief is that he rolled a one on creating his hunter as he is always at the back of the loot / drop train.
Him getting a good item level weapon early in the ICC campaign is unusual to say the least as previous experience does seem to back him up in his theory. I have raided with Dalno through all of BC and Wrath and he does always seem to be unlucky with loot either never seeing stuff drop or losing rolls on it.
The standing joke back in BC was that me must have run Kara 10 zillion times and never seen the gun drop in there until we were well into TK/SSC and then the damn thing dropped when it was not required in fact I think every gun user in the guild had it apart from Dal as when it dropped he was always away for some reason.

Now on while I was playing my pally drops went my way on a fair basis throughout BC and I thought nothing of Dals bad luck except that it was just that bad luck. However I rerolled my main as a druid towards the end of BC and slowly throughout Wrath I have this sneaking suspicion that Dal was right all along and Zetter was another one of those toons who rolled a one at character creation.
He is never lucky ever in rolls or loot drops the decent gear he gets is through hard work farming badges and making items. He generally gets stuff when others have it or decide to pass as we do in guild depending on who is the most needy for the item (great bunch of people who always look to the bigger picture).

So my dear blog readers what do you think are Dalno and I being paranoid? Or does Blizz have a nefarious system running in the background based on your characters hidden "luck stat".

Zetter

2 comments:

Jauffre said...

The roll, when you are hitting enter to see how big number you going to get, imo it's rewarding moment. Feeling of state of mind is win/defeat, gear/nothing or joy/frustration. I think that my luck of the rolls have been on my side which comes to important rolls. I can understand person who doesn't get desired drop or winning roll, the case fails many times of during those important rolls. I know some things of the mechanics "random" which is commonly used term in programming, when there is need to get a random result. I think it is really working as a random. I read somewhere that if you roll a dice million times, then you have eventually same number of each dice number at the end. Fun part is that in point of roll times when reaching roll 387266 out of million you got 1's 18%, 2's 29%, 3's 15%, 4's 11%, 5's 15% and 6's 12%. Yeah, might be that Dalno is getting those 2's atm :)

Jacx said...

Are you really asking if Dalno is paranoid? Are you in doubt if E.T. wanted to phone home too? ;)