Wednesday 28 October 2009

SATNAV a blessing and a curse

I have worked at the same place roughly for the past 19 years (sad isn’t it) doing different jobs but the same location. Due to this I know every way to and from work from my house including all the little byroads you can use to avoid traffic build up/ jams.
Now recently they have begun construction on a new link road right past our site that when finished will be a dream as it will mean we get relegated to one of those little backwaters and getting into and out of work will be a joy. But while the building is going on as you can imagine the main route I used to use to get i to work has become a nightmare so I used my knowledge and plotted an alternative using all the little cut through routes I know about to avoid this on my commute.
However due to that wonderful invention of SATNAV (yes I have one too and its damn useful when you do a lot of customer visits so I wont knock them too much. Going round London with a map on your knee it not recommended for a long life!) every other bugger can now find all this little routes only know previously to us “in the know”.

While stuck behind a line of traffic on a route that was previously only taken up by the odd horse I got to thinking had wow to an extent been polluted by the SATNAV culture?
I use and I think so do a majority of people add-ons such as quest helper or similar to make dailies easier and locate the optimum point to get 10 of X to drop. But has this killed off those top secret little farming/ questing spots known only to a dedicated few and has WOW lost a bit of its mystery because of it. Like my commute home local knowledge or in WOWs case game knowledge doesn’t quite have the same impact as it once had because a lot of people have a little arrow on their screen and a calm female voice telling them “turn left here and continue for 200 yards”

Zetter

No comments: